Sunday 22 April 2012

Imperial War Museum Assignment 7

The Imperial War Museum...Where do I even begin?
Upon arrival I was amazed at the huge lawn that was along side the building, it was beautiful. Then the guns came into view and the huge shells surrounded it as a type of cruel decoration. The size of both these items were amazing by the idea of what they were used for already had my stomach in knots.
We walked in and the room was filled with tanks, airplanes and submarines. All used for only one thing. There were people of all ages and nationalities taking pictures of the vast amount of war transportation vehicles. The image of kids playing on all of these items with smiles on their faces and their parents taking pictures of them as if they were sitting in the front seat was one of the most unsettling things I think I have ever seen in my life.
We continued on to the top floor, the holocaust floor. Usually I am very interested in this part of history simply because I didn't think I could ever wrap my mind around the idea of doing such a thing. However, this time was different. I began reading every bit of information that caught my interest but as I got deeper into the exhibit I couldn't take the images that were being shown. The idea of all the horrible things happening seemed so close to me. I don't know how people can take hours just reading about the horrid events. I made it to the turn of the Nazi soldiers rapping the Ukrainian women in the streets and couldn't stand reading anymore information. After rushing through the end of it, the rest of the museum didn't help. We pushed ourselves through the first and second world war and it only made it worse. There was Uniform after uniform of people who didn't make it and those of families didn't make it. It continued on with more pictures of people crying with blood covering them, with a dead body in laying in their arms. I understand being curious in what has happened in the past and only hope that it never repeats itself but putting  yourself through living through it yourself is horrific.
After getting out of the building as soon as I could I was talking about how even if I was a survivor I don't think I would be strong enough to live with those images playing in my head for the rest of my life. Also, I will never take my children to a museum like that before they realize what all the machines do. What each bullet can lead to. All in all, I don't think I will be returning there anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment